Sunday, December 14, 2008

A PERSUASIVE MAIL TO A FRIEND

Dear Flunker

A very good morning to you. You won't find me online from now onwards as I have blocked you. The reason for this is teaching you a lesson.

Look, dear friend I have no ill feeling towards you and I regard your capabilities. You are a very nice person to be with and I have found you different from others. In that sense, being different I have seen a great potential in you with regards to the inbuilt qualities in you of perseverance, kindness, goodness, humility, nobility, humour, wit, intelligence and last but not least character.

Being humble is right but it doesn't imply lowering down one's own self confidence. The things would have been right if it was a matter of just appreciating someone who has done a job efficiently. No...But it isn't.. The kind in which many of Pagalguys appreciate ParulBajaj full of dreams and envy is ridiculous. IIMB isn't God's abode. And she hasn't become the queen of the Pagalguy world by that. You people have also made her feel like a Proud Princess of Madcity....She has become insane and the example is attached herewith. Kindly read it. It was a post which was removed by the Moderators and according to me the best post on PG made by anyone. It would have been greater if that reply would have been given by some common person like us instead of an IIMBite.

First thing, IIMs aren't the abode of God of Management. IIMA ranks 94 in the list of Bschools worldwide. And IIM people gain fame in most of the cases after doing their executive MBA from abroad. IIMs aren't competitive on the global level with regards to quality. It is all evident by the fact that none of the self made business tycoon's sons and daughters have been in IIMs. They have a vision and can think beyond IIMs (Obviously I am not referring to IIPM here). They differ from the Indian middle class who want to do away with average thing at least cost. They look at the things from a wider perspective and feel that gaining quality education is better than just amassing a degree, so they prefer going abroad for education.

Second, how people are getting into IIMs is the most weird scene that could be created on this earth. The institutes are made for learning Management and it is well proven that many a times even illiterate people are found running business successively all over the world. So in real terms a written test cannot measure the skills of doing business in anyone. In this regard I would like to tell you about the book of stories written by Amardeep Dahiya "Four Fingers and Seventeen Nails". There is a story in the book "The Harvard's Graduate" which is a must read for all according to me. In that it is described how in actual life one educated from a well to do business school can ruin one's life. So, the impression that IIM gives someone's intelligence a trademark or a patent of being Supreme is also a fallacy. Someone's skills and competencies in running an enterprise successfully cant be judged by just getting into IIMs. There have been many scores of Khota Sikka pass outs from IIMs. Further, there are people from lesser known Bschools doing wonders. The test how a person is good at managing things has become haywire and it is all about asking him to solve some complex problems, to guess the chances of picking which colored ball from which urn are more, or giving him some passages in such a language that he couldn't understand. It has got nothing to do with managerial capabilities.

Indeed this is all wrong happening. If such a system disqualifies us, we are unable to clear such a test which has got nothing to do with our intelligence and skills in business and our qualities of nature, we don't become a Flunker. We haven't flunked, the system had flunked. IIMs have flunked. We are right. IIMs are Flunkers. What we are doing instead is degrading ourselves; "Oh! I am so poor. I took three attempt couldn't do that. People like PB clear it in first attempt. Oh I am so unlucky. Oh I am so miserable." Pagalguys like PB thinking that she has achieved what they couldn't. While according to me the attachment clearly shows that PB is just another Khotta Sikka in IIMB, reaching there due to fallacy of system.

Third, it never matters where we begin all that matters is where we end. Also nobody considers if the path you travelled was star strewn or not. All that matters is the ending.
Fourth, why did I scold you for calling her 'legend' ? Did I feel jealous of her, did I become possessive of you, was I lunatic or what? It doesn't matter to me what the hell you call her, she is no one to me, but when you were calling her 'legend', I was noticing the hidden frustration in you for not being one like her. Damn...Bull Shit...I would one day start hating all IIMs if I come across two or three more such people.

What you said
"na koi jaroorat nahi.......arre wo choti hai.....just pass out hai...kuch galat walat bol diya hoga to kya wo bewkoof ho gayi.....uske marks to dekho kabhi :|"
Damn..IIMB mein admission lekar kya saare bevkufon ko bevkufi ka license mil gaya. Let all the hell members which are in bounty be the members of PB fanclub or IIM despos. But I cant see you one amongst them, that you need to understand well and sound.

Fifth, what is this IIM tag we are crazy for? Are we cattle, as we think that if we belong to this breed our productivity would be higher? No, it is all a game of what we learn and how our learning influences our character. As said by Mohan Das Karam Chand Gandhi "The aim of education is to modify human behavior in positive direction". Does an IIM tag ensures that? Isn't there another Indian Bschool lesser in fame to IIM existing, that guarantees same amount of learning??? There are many and successful people are coming out of them too. Then why an IIM tag? Isnt a tag of ourselves being attached to us is sufficient for our acknowledgement? Why do we need this college patronage? Are we lame that we cant potray our learning and we want a well known college name to symbolise that ? Do you have answers to my questions ? A person whom I personally know declined to join IIMA last year as he felt people would cease to credit success to his account, rather this college would be given the regard of his qualities and everything which he does great in life.

Khudi ko kar buland itna, ke har taqder se pehle khuda bande se ye pooche bata teri raza kya hai------ Allama Iqbal
It means make yourself bold enough that God starts asking you how should I set the things for you. Dear, you need this. No one is Flunker.
A great US President has said "Whether you think you will be successful or not, you are right". The condition in which you have put yourself ceases to make you picturize yourself as winning.
Man I have observed you walking on forlorn path of despair and simultaneously I have also imagined you wearing the crown of success on your head. I need to see you succeed. I am none related to that. Don't take it as if I am after you or doting on you. It is just an advice of a friend. Sudhar jao.

Utthish, Jagrit, Prapyaniwanbodhyat---Swami Vivekanand
Awake, arise and stop not until the goal is achieved.
Realise yourself and evaluate the strength of Him within you. Just identify Him with in yourself and tell Him, that He is your part, He would do wonders for you. 'He' here could be Allah, Ram, Nanak, Jesus or your inner conscience.

Being idol is death.
And if you have decided to be the way you are...Sorry friend..I cant help...I ditched my loved boy friend...to whom I had given myself totally for this reason only....He didnt know what he is upto..He never paid respect to his qualities and caliber which I always praised and liked....And this attitude, I disliked most....While my friendship with you is just a recent one....You would also be left like him, no mention of yours in my life...But if you mend yourself the prospects are golden, I would always like to be in touch of such a person who is bubbling fresh with energy..as nothing succeeds like success.

About breaking contact for you for a month...I would suffer more than you...As these days I get pissed up in the office and need friends a lot...But no probs....I want you to realise the gravity of the issue which I have raised here...Whenever you miss me, read this mail of mine again and again...It has lot to say and all based on my personal observations....I am too a Harvard aspirant of Batch 2015. If this mail is able to cast an effect on you then best and if even after a month I find you in the same position, I would simply cease to talk to you forever.

The reason for the attitude above mentioned is I consider you a friend and for my friends I am like a dictator. I leave the ball in your court to decide. May be you feel that I am not worth a friend. Even then it is Ok. Life would go on the same way for everyone.
I have a wish. I have left PG. But I am like a Sanyaasi who is on the bank of Haridwar but yet her heart wanders back home. I wont go to PG myself. But I want you to start a thread "Be a brand in U, Y Die 4 Getting branded by IIM?"

And you may post this mail in that and guide millions like you in case first you yourself get on the right track.
I would forward this mail to my other friends too, those beings for whose plight I wasn't as much moved to write a mail like this and to those who just want to know me more.

Yashasvi Bhav
(Be acclaimed and renowned)

P.S. I have taken special care in case you cease to understand some high sounding Hindi.

Baawri


Now, for PCN people, this mail I wrote to my friend on May 13, 2008 who was disappointed after getting 96 percentile twice in CAT. I think it has been the most hard tried attempt from my side to persuade somebody.

The net result was postive, the guy got persuaded but he started a bit disliking me for being too blunt and forwarding the same mail to three other friends as well. I at that time thought what is the need of customizing the mail to meet the requirements of other friends. And he disliked his weaknesses being discussed as an example. I accept that I had been too sharp and somewhat insensitive. But anyways.

Pagalguy is a community site for MBA students where they share the information and resources. At that time they could also interact with each other through group chatting on Shout Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment